Wednesday, May 20, 2009

i was recently watching the old national unity ad created by bharatbala
'mile sur mera thumara' (what a wonderful creation for me, but for today's kids it ll look ameturish!)
it got me thinking how those old doordarshan images shape the imagination n vision of our times of my generation.
As of how we perceive the world around us
as some one who grew up in to the fag end of that hyper nationalistic era,

where even ads had an unmistakable stamp of nationalism (remember those bajaj ad's),
times when rajiv gandhi got assassinated,
when the ambassador car carried all sorts of symbols which made no sense (now i know they were symbols of global vehicle manufacturers!)
those symbols are etched in the collective memory
they influence me as a person, as a citizen
the enquiry is not about the nostalgic value
but about how those times influence me as a person

i do wonder what images does today's kids grow up wit and how do they shape them
that's my interest in popular culture

No comments: